Masai

Masai

Monday, September 6, 2010

I know you are... but what am I?

Ok so this is a bit different from most of my post which are more informational than…well this post. So I wanted to touch on the girls here in South Africa. The African Women…my God, I have never seen such catty women in my life. These girls here will stare you down with the look of the devil and will not even think to turn away just because you caught them. Omg…please don’t wear anything remotely cute to school or you will be the target of ridicule the whole day. I mean it’s the weirdest thing. These are two instances that stick out in my head.

Ok I was walking down the side walk to school one day and there were three girls coming the opposite way (so we were walking toward one another). So I can already see that we are going to encounter a problem because when they see me they all spread out across the side walk. So once they do that there is still enough side walk left for me to pass…but no…one of the girls actually puts her arms out like straight out to cover the rest of the side walk….can you believe it? And they all thought It was hilarious.

Another instance. I went to the library…(which is not a place you go to study by the way) but anyway I went there to use the internet and I also needed to plug up my computer. So they only have a few outlets so I had to join these girls at a table if I wanted to be close enough to an outlet. So I asked if anyone was sitting there and they didn’t even say a word to me… just looked. So I sit down and they start laughing and pointing to something and being rude but they were doing it in XHOSA…so I let them continue until I could catch them up. So as soon as it looked like they were making fun of me again…I said “why would you say that” insinuating that I spoke XHOSA..and guess what? They were like oh we were just kidding…we didn’t mean it. AH I knew they were talking about me in their language because they didn’t think I would understand, I didn’t. But they thought I could now and I bet they sat quiet the rest of the time. Ahh funny. I don’t know many languages but being rude is an internationally known thing girls…lol I can spot that in any culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment